Marc Kakhia  Account Manager assessment, Test A

Back to the presentation

Founders Summit: assumptions and decisions

Notes to my Test A submission: what I assumed, the numbers behind Part 2, and what I'd confirm first. All links are on the sources page.

Legend: F = fact from the brief · S = sourced market rate · E = my estimate (built from sourced rates where possible)

1. Assumptions

# Assumption Type If it's wrong
A1 Today is Thu 29 Oct; the summit is Thu 3 to Fri 4 Dec E Every date shifts with it
A2 The founder's "Friday" is Fri 30 Oct E I ask for her pick by Friday 10 am
A3 Final catering headcount is due Thu 12 Nov F ("14 days"); date via A1 The hard deadline for the guest number
A4 The keynote and the VIP dinner are both on night one E If not, they don't compete for the evening
A5 The venue's 260 counts guests only, not staff, speakers or booth crews E If it counts everyone, we stay at 250
A6 The $38,000 catering line may exclude tax and service, so I price extra guests at $152 to $208 each ($152 × 1.24 service × 1.1025 tax) E If it includes them, extra guests cost less
A7 The fourth sponsor's verbal deal has no defined package yet E I ask the Production Lead once, in my handoff note
A8 6 pm works for the venue and the keynote speaker E I come back with the nearest time that does
A9 Cancellation terms: published samples charge 50% to 85% at 30 to 59 days out and 80 to 100% inside 30 days. I use 50% as the best case E At 85%, Option B before 3 Nov is $16,850 to $19,650 over budget. The actual contract decides
A10 Moving the keynote to 6 pm adds about two hours beyond the venue's and crew's contracted time E If the contract already runs late, the $3,500 shrinks or disappears

2. The numbers in Part 2

Item Number How Type
+10 guests About $2,000 10 × $152 to $208 = $1,520 to $2,080 E
Keynote at 6 pm About $3,500 2 extra hours: AV crew 5 × 2 h × $45 to $65 × 1.5 overtime = $675 to $975 (S rates); room 2 h × $500 = $1,000 (S); venue staff and security 6 × 2 h × $60 = $720 (E); photo or video 2 h × $245 to $345 = $490 to $690 (S). Total $2,885 to $3,385, rounded up E
Founder approval needed now About $5,500 $2,000 + $3,500, over her $5,000 limit; keeps the $3,000 contingency for the AV quote E
VIP dinner for 40, restaurant About $11,000 to $13,000 Firstborn's $8,000 weekday minimum × 1.24 (20% service and 4% surcharge, rates from a comparable LA restaurant) × 1.1025 tax = $10,937, plus about $2,000 drinks S minimum, E rest
Sponsor fee for "dinner presented by" At least $15,000 Priced on value to the sponsor (40 VIPs), never below cost; the founder approves E
Backup dinner if the sponsor doesn't sign About $7,000 Rustic Canyon (Santa Monica): 40 × $90 × 1.24 × 1.1125 (11.25% tax) = $4,966, plus drinks: 40 × $40 × 1.24 × 1.1125 = $2,207 S rate, E drinks
Option B, cancel before Tue 3 Nov About $1,000 to $4,000 over budget (best case, see A9) 50% cancellation ($22,500) + new 300-person venue ($16,000) + 50 more guests ($7,600 to $10,400), minus the $45,000 venue budget = $1,100 to $3,900 E
Option B, cancel after 3 Nov About $15,000 to $26,500 over budget Same, with 80 to 100% cancellation ($36,000 to $45,000) = $14,600 to $26,400 E

Option B's figures exclude the keynote and dinner (same as Option A), and anything the new venue adds (food and drink minimums, in-house catering or AV) and any fee for changing the catering contract.

3. Decisions

Decision Why
Recommend Option A 260 fits the venue. Option B is affordable only if we cancel within days, in peak December season, and it means redoing the floor plan and every sponsor booth
Offer the fourth sponsor the VIP dinner, not the keynote A sponsor's name on the founder's keynote is her call, so it's a separate yes or no. Before any offer, I check the signed sponsors' contracts for exclusivity
Keep the contingency for AV The AV quote is still missing, so the extra guests and keynote are approved as new spend instead
Sponsor complaint: the sponsor first, the founder briefed within minutes They're deciding whether to pull out; the founder was copied, so she hears my plan straight away
Headliner: confirm with the agent, then the founder first She never hears bad news from someone else, and she gets it with a plan already moving

4. Fallback plans

If the fourth sponsor doesn't sign by Fri 6 Nov:

  1. Offer the dinner to the signed sponsors, only where their contracts allow it.
  2. Downsize to a family-style dinner or a VIP reception (about $7,000), with her OK.
  3. She funds the restaurant dinner (about $11,000 to $13,000), approved in writing.
  4. If she declines, drop the dinner early, so no VIP is invited to something we can't deliver.

If she chooses Option B:

  1. Get the extra budget approved in writing the same day.
  2. Hold a 300-person venue and confirm it before cancelling ours. Go or no-go on Mon 2 Nov: if no venue is confirmed by then, we stay at 260, unless she approves the higher cost of $15,000 to $26,500 in writing.
  3. Ask our venue to move the deposit to a future event instead of a cancellation fee.
  4. Check whether catering can move with us, and at what cost.
  5. Lock every sponsor's booth on the new floor plan, in writing, before telling guests.

5. Week-one checks