Marc Kakhia  Account Manager assessment, Test A

Founders Summit: taking over the account

Two days in Los Angeles, 250 guests, five weeks out. Here is how I would run it from day one.

Event
Thu 3 to Fri 4 Dec 2026, LA
Guests
250, venue holds 260
Budget
$140,000, contingency $3,000
Approval
Founder approves spend over $5,000

Status as of Thu 29 Oct 2026, the day I took over. All dates are scenario dates.

How I read the situation

Before the first call with the founder, I looked for what could hurt the event if nobody touched it this week.

  1. Fixed limits firstThe venue holds 260 and catering locks the headcount on 12 Nov. Any guest change has to fit inside those.
  2. Unblock AVNo quote in 6 days, five weeks out. I chase it today and line up two backups.
  3. Secure the headlinerNot signed, and two sponsors expect them on stage. Sign-by date and backups now.
  4. Answer the founderTwo real options with costs, one recommendation, and her decision by Friday.
  5. One source of truthA tracker and a budget sheet the Production Lead can read without asking me.

Part 1: Taking over the account

The plan lives in ClickUp, the money in Google Sheets. Every task has an owner, a date worked back from 3 Dec, dependencies, and tags for blocked items and founder approvals.

Key dates

1.2 First status update to the founder

Email to the founder170 / 200 words

Subject: Founders Summit: week 1 status

Hi [Founder],

I've taken over the summit from [Production Lead] and I'm your main contact from today.

Done: venue and catering signed, three sponsors signed, 5 of 6 speakers confirmed.

Moving: chasing the AV quote, with two backup quotes requested. Checking every sponsor's contract and booth against the floor plan. Holding two restaurants for the VIP dinner.

Next, by Fri 6 Nov: AV, headliner and fourth sponsor contracts signed; decor brief and quotes.

Risks:

  • AV: no quote in 6 days. Backups are lined up, so no impact yet.
  • Headliner not signed: I'm setting a sign-by date and shortlisting two backups.
  • Budget: our $3,000 contingency is thin, and I'm confirming whether catering includes tax and service, which could add up to $14,000.

Decisions I need from you:

  1. Your pick on the options I sent for the dinner, guest count and keynote, by Fri 10 am PT.
  2. Your OK to give the headliner a sign-by date of Fri 6 Nov.

Next update: Fri 6 Nov.

Marc

1.3 The three risks I'd watch first

Risk Why it matters Owner What I do this week
AV: no quote in 6 days Stage, sound and screens drive the run of show, the load-in and the sponsors' stage moments. It's a $22,000 line, and LA crews book up fast in December. Me Call today and ask for the quote by Mon 2 Nov. Request backup quotes from Space Productions LA and A Production. Sign by Fri 6 Nov with the founder's approval.
Headliner not signed Tickets were sold on the line-up, two sponsors expect the headliner on stage, and the 6 pm keynote depends on them. Me; the founder approves any replacement Contract out with a sign-by date of Fri 6 Nov. Confirm 6 pm. Shortlist two backups (BigSpeak, UTA Speakers), and keep the founder closing the day as a fallback.
Budget has almost no buffer Contingency is $3,000 (2%). Catering may exclude tax and service (up to $13,950 more), photo and video is tight, and the fourth sponsor is verbal only. Forecast: $141,500 to $158,850. Me; the founder approves any new spend Confirm the catering terms by Fri 30 Oct. Price every new request in the change log before any spend. Hold the contingency for AV.

Handoff note to the Production Lead

Hi [Production Lead], I've taken over the Founders Summit from today: the founder, vendors, sponsors, budget and run of show are mine.

One ask: please send me the sponsor decks and what you offered the fourth sponsor verbally, by Fri 30 Oct.

Everything else you can stop thinking about. The tracker shows where it all stands, and I'll only come to you if something truly needs you.

Part 2: Judgment under pressure

My rule: give the founder real options with honest numbers, protect every sponsor's contract, and never let her hear bad news from someone else.

2.1 Reply to the founder

Her ask: VIP dinner for 40, 300 guests, keynote at 6 pm177 / 180 words

Hi [Founder],

The dinner and the 6 pm keynote both look doable; 300 guests is the hard part. Our venue holds 260, and catering locks numbers on 12 Nov.

Option A: 260 guests (+10, about $2,000), keynote at 6 pm (about $3,500 in later venue and crew time; confirming today), and the VIP dinner for 40 at 8 pm, offered to our fourth sponsor. Without their signature by 6 Nov, a simpler dinner costs you about $7,000. Trade-off: 40 fewer guests.

Option B: Move to a 300-person venue. If our contract charges 50% to cancel before 3 Nov, it's about $1,000 to $4,000 over budget; after that, typically $15,000 to $26,500 over. Trade-off: scarce December venues and redoing the floor plan and booths. Keynote and dinner cost as in A.

My recommendation: Option A. Far less risk; the sponsor can cover the dinner.

What I need by Friday 10 am: your pick, your OK to offer the sponsor the dinner, and about $5,500 for the extra guests and later keynote, keeping contingency for AV.

2.2 The sponsor complaint

Booth not on the floor plan119 / 120 words

Who I contact first: the sponsor.

First three moves:

  1. Reply-all within 15 minutes: "Thanks for flagging this, I'm calling you within the hour." Then two private lines to the founder: what happened, my plan.
  2. Before the call, check the contract, the deck and the floor plan, and ask the Production Lead what was promised.
  3. Call the sponsor and listen. With the venue, restore the spot or find an equal or better one without moving another sponsor, and confirm it in writing. Then check every sponsor's deck against the floor plan.

What I say on the call: "You're right to flag it. I'm confirming your position with the venue, and you'll have it in writing by tomorrow."

2.3 The headliner cancels

48 hours before day one114 / 120 words

Who I contact first: the founder, right after confirming with the agent.

First three moves:

  1. Once the agent confirms it's final (and I've asked about a video appearance), call the founder: "The headliner has cancelled. I'm calling our two shortlisted backups now. You'll have my recommendation by 6 pm, including you closing the day yourself."
  2. Call the backups, check the cancellation terms, and prepare a holding statement in case it leaks.
  3. Call both sponsors myself before anything goes public. They hear the replacement first and keep their stage moment: introducing the speaker or joining a fireside chat with the founder. Then update the run of show and tell ticket holders.

Part 3: The AI workflow I'd use

What it's for: nothing on this account goes late, stays blocked, or waits for the founder's approval without me knowing, so the founder and the Production Lead stay informed without anyone chasing.

Tools and where it lives: Claude (Claude Code desktop app) as a scheduled task that runs every weekday at 9 am Bogotá (7 am PT, before the founder's day starts). It reads the ClickUp tracker and the Google Sheet through their official connectors. Its instructions are a saved prompt in the task, so it runs the same way every day.

What it does on its own: reads the tracker and the sheet, then writes one report: what's blocked, what's overdue or due in 3 days, what's waiting for the founder's approval, where the money stands, and drafts of the follow-ups.

Where a human reviews: it never sends, posts or changes anything. I read the report, check the flags, edit the drafts in my own voice, and send them myself. Spend over $5,000 still goes to the founder.

How I'd know it got something wrong:

The exact instructions it runs on
You are the account manager's blocker and approval check for the Founders Summit (a founder-led brand's 2-day summit in Los Angeles, Thu 3 to Fri 4 Dec 2026, budget $140,000, the founder approves any spend over $5,000). Your job: make sure nothing is late, blocked or waiting for approval without the account manager knowing, so the client and the Production Lead stay informed without anyone chasing.

## Hard rule: read and draft only
Never send, post, comment, or change anything in ClickUp, Google Sheets, email or any other system. Never mark tasks done or change dates. You only read, then write your report. The account manager reviews every draft and sends it himself.

## Read
1. ClickUp list id 901329245538 (use the ClickUp connector, one filter call for all tasks in that list): name, status, due date, priority, tags, assignee, description, dependencies.
2. Google Sheet id 19QmNlUn_ZN-4A78l47FS9dvzMdZgLlPFJQGZlpSynjg: tabs Budget (including the Forecast rows), Change requests and Sponsors.
Treat "today" as the date in the tracker's one-page plan ("Status as of ...") if present, otherwise the real date.

## Report (under 350 words, plain words, short bullets)
**Summit check: <date>**
1. **Blocked** (tag "blocked"): task, why, the next step from its description, days until its due date.
2. **Overdue or due in the next 3 days** (status not complete): task, due date, owner.
3. **Waiting for founder approval** (tag "founder-approval" and status not complete, plus any change request whose "Approved on" is "Pending"): what, amount, decide-by date.
4. **Money:** budget total, committed, forecast range from the sheet, and anything pending that would push the forecast up.
5. **Drafts for review** (do not send):
   - one short follow-up for each blocked vendor or contract (to the vendor, max 60 words each);
   - a 3-line update for the Production Lead (only what she needs to know, nothing to act on unless it truly needs her).
6. **Check:** anything that looks wrong or inconsistent (a task due before something it depends on, a figure that differs between the tracker and the sheet, a blocked task with no next step). Write "check" instead of guessing.

## Accuracy rules
- Every item names the ClickUp task exactly as written, with its due date, so it can be spot-checked.
- Counts must match the source: say how many tasks you read and how many carry each tag.
- If a source fails to load, say so at the top and stop; never fill gaps from memory.

A real run on this account

The first real run on this tracker is added here on Fri 30 Oct, after the tracker updates.

The numbers behind my answers

Every figure is either from the brief, from a sourced LA market rate, or my estimate built from those rates. Each is labelled in the notes.

ItemFigure
Founder approval asked now (10 more guests, 6 pm keynote)About $5,500
VIP dinner for 40, LA restaurant$11,000 to $13,000; sponsor fee at least $15,000
Fallback dinner if the sponsor doesn't signAbout $7,000
Option B, cancel before 3 Nov (at a 50% fee)$1,000 to $4,000 over budget
Option B, cancel after 3 Nov$15,000 to $26,500 over budget
Catering, if the $38,000 excludes tax and serviceUp to $13,950 more
Forecast with everything pending$141,500 to $158,850

My first Monday

What the test could not show:

  • A video call with the founder: how she likes updates, and who on her team approves what.
  • Read every signed contract start to finish: venue, catering, sponsors, speakers.
  • A video walkthrough of the venue with its event manager, and travel booked to be in LA for load-in and the event days.
  • A short call with each vendor, with one contact and a backup for each.
  • The rhythm set: the daily blocker check, the Friday status update, and the tracker as the single source of truth.

How I used AI on this test

  • Research: two research agents sourced LA market rates and the vendor bench; a third re-checked every source before I used a number.
  • Review: independent reviewer agents (a senior event account manager and a hiring reviewer) challenged my answers. One caught a double count in my Option B maths, which I corrected.
  • Building: Claude built the ClickUp tracker, the budget sheet and this page from my plan, through their connectors.
  • What stays mine: every judgment call and every message. AI drafts and checks; I decide and edit.