Founders Summit: taking over the account
Two days in Los Angeles, 250 guests, five weeks out. Here is how I would run it from day one.
- Event
- Thu 3 to Fri 4 Dec 2026, LA
- Guests
- 250, venue holds 260
- Budget
- $140,000, contingency $3,000
- Approval
- Founder approves spend over $5,000
Status as of Thu 29 Oct 2026, the day I took over. All dates are scenario dates.
How I read the situation
Before the first call with the founder, I looked for what could hurt the event if nobody touched it this week.
- Fixed limits firstThe venue holds 260 and catering locks the headcount on 12 Nov. Any guest change has to fit inside those.
- Unblock AVNo quote in 6 days, five weeks out. I chase it today and line up two backups.
- Secure the headlinerNot signed, and two sponsors expect them on stage. Sign-by date and backups now.
- Answer the founderTwo real options with costs, one recommendation, and her decision by Friday.
- One source of truthA tracker and a budget sheet the Production Lead can read without asking me.
Part 1: Taking over the account
1.1 Plan and tracker
The tracker (ClickUp) holds every task with an owner, a date worked back from 3 Dec, dependencies, and tags for blocked items and founder approvals. The budget sheet (Google Sheets) holds planned, committed and actual spend, the forecast, change requests, sponsors and the vendor bench. Both are as of Thu 29 Oct, the day I took over, so tasks due 29 Oct to 6 Nov show as overdue when you open them later.
| Workstream | Owner | Status today | Next milestone |
|---|---|---|---|
| Venue | Me | Signed; checking staff in the 260, cancellation and overtime | Founder picks A or B, Fri 30 Oct |
| Catering | Me | Signed; checking tax and service | Final headcount, Thu 12 Nov |
| AV and stage | Me | Blocked: no quote in 6 days; 2 backup quotes requested | Contract, Fri 6 Nov |
| Speakers | Me; founder approves any replacement | 5 of 6 confirmed; headliner blocked | Headliner signs, Fri 6 Nov |
| Sponsors | Me; Production Lead sends the decks | 3 signed, 1 verbal | Offer Mon 2 Nov; 4th signs Fri 6 Nov |
| VIP dinner | Me; founder approves | Placing holds on 2 restaurants | Contract, Mon 9 Nov |
| Guests | Me | 250; +10 pending the founder | Release seats, Tue 3 Nov |
| Production and decor | Me; founder approves design | Not started | Design approved, Fri 13 Nov |
| Photo and video | Me | Not booked; budget tight | Booked, Tue 10 Nov |
| Staffing, insurance, registration | Me | Not started | Staff Fri 13 Nov; insurance Fri 20 Nov |
| Comms and budget | Me | Reply sent; status update every Friday | Next update, Fri 6 Nov |
Key dates
- Founder picks Option A or B and approves $5,500
- Sponsor contracts checked against the floor plan; Option B go or no-go
- Target: AV, headliner and 4th sponsor contracts signed
- Final catering headcount
- Every vendor confirmed in writing, before Thanksgiving
- Load-in and rehearsal
- The summit
- Recap and final budget reconciliation
1.2 First status update to the founder
Subject: Founders Summit: week 1 status
Hi [Founder],
I've taken over the summit from [Production Lead] and I'm your main contact from today.
Done: venue and catering signed, three sponsors signed, 5 of 6 speakers confirmed.
Moving: chasing the AV quote, with two backup quotes requested. Checking every sponsor's contract and booth against the floor plan. Placing holds on two restaurants for the VIP dinner.
Next, by Fri 6 Nov: AV, headliner and fourth sponsor contracts out for signature; decor brief and quotes.
Risks:
- AV: no quote in 6 days. Two backup quotes requested, so we can switch quickly if needed.
- Headliner not signed: I'm setting a sign-by date and shortlisting two backups.
- Budget: our $3,000 contingency is thin, and I'm confirming with the caterer whether tax and service are included. Answer by Friday.
Decisions I need from you:
- Your pick on the options I sent for the dinner, guest count and keynote, by Fri 10 am PT.
- Your OK to give the headliner a sign-by date of Fri 6 Nov.
Next update: Fri 6 Nov.
Marc
1.3 The three risks I'd watch first
| Risk | Why it matters | Owner | What I do this week |
|---|---|---|---|
| AV: no quote in 6 days | Stage, sound and screens drive the run of show, the load-in and the sponsors' stage moments. It's a $22,000 line, and LA crews book up fast in December. | Me | Call today and ask for the quote by Mon 2 Nov. Request backup quotes from Space Productions LA and A Production. Sign by Fri 6 Nov with the founder's approval. |
| Headliner not signed | Tickets were sold on the line-up, two sponsors expect the headliner on stage, and the 6 pm keynote depends on them. | Me; the founder approves any replacement | Contract out with a sign-by date of Fri 6 Nov. Confirm 6 pm. Shortlist two backup speakers via BigSpeak and UTA Speakers, and keep the founder closing the day as a fallback. |
| Budget has almost no buffer | Contingency is $3,000 (2%). Catering may exclude tax and service (up to $13,950 more), photo and video is tight, and the fourth sponsor is verbal only. Forecast: $141,500 to $158,850. | Me; the founder approves any new spend | Confirm the catering terms by Fri 30 Oct. Price every new request in the change log before any spend. Hold the contingency for AV. |
Handoff note to the Production Lead
Hi [Production Lead], I've taken over the Founders Summit from today: the founder, vendors, sponsors, budget and run of show are mine.
One ask: please send me the sponsor decks, the speaker fees and what you offered the fourth sponsor verbally, by Fri 30 Oct.
Everything else you can stop thinking about. The tracker shows where it all stands, and I'll only come to you if something truly needs you.
Part 2: Judgment under pressure
My rule: give the founder real options with honest numbers, protect every sponsor's contract, and never let her hear bad news from someone else.
2.1 Reply to the founder
Hi [Founder],
The dinner and the 6 pm keynote both look doable; 300 guests is the hard part. Our venue holds 260, and catering locks numbers on 12 Nov.
Option A: 260 guests (+10, about $2,000), keynote at 6 pm (about $3,500 extra; confirming today), and the VIP dinner for 40 at 8 pm, offered to our fourth sponsor for at least $15,000. Without their signature by 6 Nov, a simpler dinner costs you about $7,000. Trade-off: 40 fewer guests.
Option B: Move to a 300-person venue. At a typical 50% fee (checking our terms today), cancelling before 3 Nov puts us $1,000 to $4,000 over budget; after that, typically $15,000 to $26,500. Trade-off: scarce December venues and redoing the floor plan and booths. Keynote and dinner as in A.
My recommendation: Option A. Far less risk; the sponsor can cover the dinner.
What I need by Friday 10 am PT: your pick, your OK on the sponsor offer, and about $5,500 for the extra guests and keynote, keeping contingency for AV.
2.2 The sponsor complaint
Who I contact first: the sponsor.
First three moves:
- Reply-all within 15 minutes: "Thanks for flagging this, I'm calling you within the hour." Then two private lines to the founder: what happened, my plan.
- Before the call, check the contract, the deck and the floor plan, and ask the Production Lead what was promised.
- Call the sponsor and listen. With the venue, restore the spot or find an equal or better one without moving another sponsor, and confirm it in writing. Then check every sponsor's deck against the floor plan.
What I say on the call: "You're right to flag it. I'm confirming your position with the venue, and you'll have it in writing by tomorrow."
2.3 The headliner cancels
Who I contact first: the founder, right after confirming with the agent.
First three moves:
- Once the agent confirms it's final (and I've asked about a video appearance), call the founder: "The headliner has cancelled. I'm calling our two shortlisted backups now. You'll have my recommendation by 6 pm, including you closing the day yourself."
- Call the backups, check the cancellation terms, and prepare a holding statement in case it leaks.
- Call both sponsors myself before anything goes public. They hear the replacement first and keep their stage moment: introducing the speaker or joining a fireside chat with the founder. Then update the run of show and tell ticket holders.
Part 3: The AI workflow I'd use
What it's for: nothing on this account goes late, stays blocked, or waits for the founder's approval without me knowing, so the founder and the Production Lead stay informed without anyone chasing.
Tools and where it lives: Claude (Claude Code desktop app) as a scheduled task that runs every weekday before the founder's day starts (9 am my time in Bogotá, 6 am PT). It reads the ClickUp tracker and the Google Sheet through their official connectors. Its instructions are a saved prompt in the task, so it runs the same way every day.
What it does on its own: reads the tracker and the sheet, then writes one report: what's blocked, what's overdue or due in 3 days, what's waiting for the founder's approval, where the money stands, and drafts of the follow-ups.
Where a human reviews: it never sends, posts or changes anything. I read the report, check the flags, edit the drafts in my own voice, and send them myself. Spend over $5,000 still goes to the founder.
How I'd know it got something wrong:
- Every item names the ClickUp task exactly, with its due date, so I can spot-check any line in seconds.
- It reports how many tasks it read and how many carry each tag; I compare those counts with a ClickUp filter.
- Its money figures must match the sheet's totals and forecast to the dollar.
- When something looks inconsistent, it writes "check" instead of guessing.
- If it misses something, I fix the instructions the same day, so it doesn't repeat.
The exact instructions it runs on
You are the account manager's blocker and approval check for the Founders Summit (a founder-led brand's 2-day summit in Los Angeles, Thu 3 to Fri 4 Dec 2026, budget $140,000, the founder approves any spend over $5,000). Your job: make sure nothing is late, blocked or waiting for approval without the account manager knowing, so the client and the Production Lead stay informed without anyone chasing.
## Hard rule: read and draft only
Never send, post, comment, or change anything in ClickUp, Google Sheets, email or any other system. Never mark tasks done or change dates. You only read, then write your report. The account manager reviews every draft and sends it himself.
## Tools
Use only the ClickUp and Google Sheets connector tools. Never run shell commands or scripts, and never read or write local files.
## Read
1. ClickUp list id 901329245538 (use the ClickUp connector, one filter call for all tasks in that list): name, status, due date, priority, tags, assignee, description, dependencies.
2. Google Sheet id 19QmNlUn_ZN-4A78l47FS9dvzMdZgLlPFJQGZlpSynjg: tabs Budget (including the Forecast rows), Change requests and Sponsors.
Treat "today" as the date in the tracker's one-page plan ("Status as of ...") if present, otherwise the real date.
## Report: short enough to read in one minute (200 words at most; shorten drafts first if needed)
Use short task names. One line per item. No tables, no long lists. Use exactly these parts, in this order:
**Summit check, <date>:** <N> tasks read · <B> blocked · <A> waiting for the founder
**Today** (the 3 things that matter most, most urgent first; one line each with the due date)
**Blocked** (tag "blocked"): one line each: task, next step, due date.
**Founder approvals:** one line: the decisions she must make in the next 7 days, each counted once (a change request linked to a tagged task is the same decision), with the total known amount and the earliest decide-by date.
**Money:** one line: committed, and the forecast range from the sheet.
**Drafts to review** (do not send): only for blocked items, at most 3, each under 40 words.
**Checks:** at most 3 inconsistencies, most important first (a task due before something it depends on, a figure that differs between the tracker and the sheet, a blocked task with no next step). Write "None" if there are none.
## Accuracy rules
- Every item uses a short name that matches its ClickUp task, with its due date, so it can be spot-checked.
- The counts in the first line must match the source.
- If any source fails to load, even partly, say so in one line and stop; never fill gaps from memory.A real run on this account
Input: the live ClickUp tracker (38 tasks) and the budget sheet (Budget, Change requests and Sponsors tabs), read on Fri 30 Oct with the tracker's own date, Thu 29 Oct. Unedited output:
Source problem: ClickUp's daily limit stopped the dependency read at 2 of 38 tasks, so that check is incomplete. All other data loaded.
Summit check, Thu 29 Oct: 38 tasks read · 3 blocked · 17 waiting for the founder
Today
- Venue contract check, due 29 Oct
- Handoff note, due 29 Oct
- Courtesy holds, due 29 Oct
Blocked
- AV quote: call vendor today; due 2 Nov
- Headliner: send contract today; due 6 Nov
- 4th sponsor: send offer 2 Nov; due 6 Nov
Founder approvals: 10 tasks + 7 change requests; $16,020 to $32,530 known (excludes alternatives CR3b and CR4; CR6 unpriced); earliest Fri 30 Oct, 10 am PT.
Money: $83,000 committed; forecast $141,500 to $158,850.
Drafts to review (do not send)
- AV vendor: "We still need your quote for 3 to 4 Dec. Please send it by Mon 2 Nov."
- Headliner: "Contract attached. Please sign by Fri 6 Nov."
- 4th sponsor (after founder OK): "Here's the VIP dinner offer. Please sign by Fri 6 Nov."
Checks
- ClickUp vs plan: vendor lock 21 vs 25 Nov, load-in 28 Nov vs 2 Dec, event 30 Nov vs 3 Dec, recap 7 vs 11 Dec.
- $83,000 omits speaker fees (TBC).
- Founder decision shows 11 am PT in ClickUp, 10 am PT in the plan.
What I did with it: the first check was real. When I corrected one task's date, ClickUp's automatic rescheduling had pulled every task downstream of it four days earlier, including the event itself. I put every date back, working upstream first so the automatic rescheduling couldn't undo the fixes, and checked all 38 tasks afterwards. I also fixed the founder's deadline to 10 am PT. Speaker fees were already in my one ask to the Production Lead.
What I tightened in the workflow: this run broke two of its own rules. It kept going after a partial read (it did flag that at the top), and it ran about 220 words against a 200-word limit. Its "17 waiting for the founder" also counted the same decisions twice, since change requests overlap with tagged tasks; only three decisions are open with her this week. I changed the instructions to count each decision once and only for the next 7 days.
And when a source fails: on a later run the same day, ClickUp's daily connector limit was used up. That run stopped and said so instead of guessing.
The numbers behind my answers
Every figure is either from the brief, from a sourced LA market rate, or my estimate built from those rates. Each is labelled in the notes.
| Item | Figure |
|---|---|
| Founder approval asked now (10 more guests, 6 pm keynote) | About $5,500 |
| VIP dinner for 40, LA restaurant | $11,000 to $13,000; sponsor fee at least $15,000 |
| Fallback dinner if the sponsor doesn't sign | About $7,000 |
| Option B, cancel before 3 Nov (at a 50% fee) | $1,000 to $4,000 over budget |
| Option B, cancel after 3 Nov | $15,000 to $26,500 over budget |
| Catering, if the $38,000 excludes tax and service | Up to $13,950 more |
| Forecast with everything pending | $141,500 to $158,850 |
My first Monday
What the test could not show:
- A video call with the founder: how she likes updates, and who on her team approves what.
- Read every signed contract start to finish: venue, catering, sponsors, speakers.
- A video walkthrough of the venue with its event manager, and travel booked to be in LA for load-in and the event days.
- A short call with each vendor, with one contact and a backup for each.
- The rhythm set: the daily blocker check, the Friday status update, and the tracker as the single source of truth.
How I used AI on this test
- Research: two research agents sourced LA market rates and the vendor bench; a third re-checked every source before I used a number.
- Review: independent reviewer agents (a senior event account manager and a hiring reviewer) challenged my answers. One caught a double count in my Option B maths, which I corrected.
- Building: Claude built the ClickUp tracker, the budget sheet and this page from my plan, through their connectors.
- What stays mine: every judgment call and every message. AI drafts and checks; I decide and edit.